A unique symposium that brought secondary school teachers and academics in English and History took place at the IHR, London between 18th and 19th February 2013, organised by myself and Dr Ann-Marie Einhaus (Northumbria). This was the launch event of their AHRC exploratory award ‘The First World War in the Classroom’ which runs until November 2013. Almost 50 delegates from across the UK engaged in a dialogue about their experiences of teaching the First World War and the implications of the forthcoming centenary on their practice. Along with teachers and academics, delegates represented Education Studies, museum learning and outreach, and exam boards. The event was kindly supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC), the Royal Historical Society, the English Association and the Historical Association.
- Successful visit from USC students and staff
- Lives of the First World War
- Launch of project website: The First World War in the Classroom
- Looking forward to the University of Exeter Student Guild Teaching Awards, 2013
- The First World War in the Classroom: A Teacher-Academic Exchange, 18th-19th February 2013