Select conference and seminar papers delivered since 2008:
- 15 May 2012: Speaking at the Imperial War Museum, London seminar series Reappraising the First World War, on the subject ‘The First World War and the Shaping of the Middle East’.
- 6 December 2011: The Contradictions of War and Empire: 1916 in Ireland and the Hejaz. Invited seminar: Centre for Military History and Strategic Studies, NUI, Maynooth, Ireland.
- 25 November 2011: ‘No longer an island’: Invasion Literature and the Limits to Imagining a Future War in Britain. Invited paper at the conference, ‘Wars Before the War, 1911-1914’, UCD, Dublin, Ireland.
- 14 November 2011: Invited commentator for Wiley-Blackwell Exchange (online conference), The Changing Face of War.
- 10 November 2011: The Experience and Understanding of Military Conflict in Britain, 1899-1914. Conference: ‘Future Wars, Imagined Wars: Towards a Cultural History of the pre-1914 Period’, Historial de la Grande Guerre, Péronne and DHI Paris, France.
- 21 October 2011: More than a ‘curious footnote’: Irish Responses to Britain’s Call for Volunteers, 1914-1916. Invited paper at the conference, ‘Ireland in the Decade of the Great War, 1912-1923: Towards Remembrance’, Princess Grace Irish Library, Monaco.
- 19 November 2010: Imagining Future Wars: Experience and Understanding of Military Conflict, 1899-1914. Conference: New Research in Military History, University of Sussex.
- 29 October 2010: Expectation and Experience, 1914. Invited paper at the TCD War Studies Seminar, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
- 15 April 2010: No Way Out: Reverend Harold Spooner and the Siege of Kut-Al-Amara. Conference: Unarmed on the Battlefield: Non-Combatants and the Experience of Combat in Modern War, University of Glamorgan.
- 14 May 2009: Ireland’s Entry Into War: Acceptance or Refusal? Invited paper at the Historiches Seminar, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Germany.
- 12 May 2009: Soldiers’ Experience in the 16th (Irish) and 36th (Ulster) Divisions faced with the German Spring Offensive, March 1918. Invited paper at the War Studies Seminar, Centre for First World War Studies, University of Birmingham.
- 7 November 2008: Interpretations of August 1914 in the United Kingdom. Invited paper at the conference ‘Inside the War, 1914-1918: Acceptance, Endurance, Refusal’ at the Historial de la Grande Guerre, Péronne, France.